Linking to external resources
You can add links to external websites from your Entry. For information on how to add links to existing Entries from the same Trove, see Linking to other eNotebook entries.
There are two ways to link to an external website:
- Type in the URL for the website directly, using one of the following formats:
- A link to the URL will automatically be created in your Entry.
- If you want to display text for the link rather than the URL for the website you can use the Link button. To use the Link button:
- Select the text that you want to display for the link within your Entry and click the Link button.
- Enter the URL for the website for which you are creating a link. You must include the full URL address for the website. For example, for Google you would enter the following URL in the URL field:
- You can also choose where the web page is opened using Target and add some hover help for the link using Title. Click Insert to add the link into the Entry. The format of the added link will look similar to the following markup if you view it in HTML:
<a href="http://www.google.com">Here is some text</a>
- Edit the Here is some text part of the link markup to add the text that is displayed in the Entry when you submit it. For example if you use the following link markup, My Google Link is displayed as the link in the submitted Entry:
<a href="http://www.google.com">My Google Link</a>
- Click Submit to save your Entry. If you are editing a Entry you must enter a Reason for Edit before you can submit the Entry. The link is shown in your saved Entry.
Adding an image from a website
You can add an image from a website to your Entry. Text does not wrap around an image, so position the image on a new line in your Entry. You can also upload your own picture to your Notebook, see Uploading data. To add an image from a website in your Entry:
- Ensure your cursor is in the position within your Entry where you want to add the image and click the Insert/edit image button.
- Enter the full URL address for the image. For example, for Google's Milankovich Logo you would enter the following URL in the URL field:
- Enter a Image Description and Title for the image.
- Click Appearance to change settings that affect how the image is displayed in the Entry including it's size and alignment.
- Click Insert' to add the link to the image into the Entry. The format of the added link will look similar to the following markup:
- Click Publish to save and publish your Entry. If you are editing a Entry you must enter a Reason for Edit before you can submit the Entry. If the URL you entered is correct, the image is shown in your saved Entry.
What to do next
- Editing an eNotebook entry and viewing revisions
- Linking to other eNotebook entries
- Uploading data
- Creating a sketch
- To find out how to use metadata effectively in your Notebook, see Using metadata
- You can create template Entries to help you record consistent information for different experiments. For more information, see Recording repeated processes.