Using URIs, QR codes, and Permalinks
There are various options for helping others to find your Entries in LabTrove, see the sections below for more information on each option.
Each Entry has a unique identifying code that is used in the URL and is also used when linking between Entries. The Permalink URL for a Entry includes the ID code and the title of the Entry in the following format:
If the title of a Entry is changed, the Permalink for the Entry will change, but the ID code remains the same. If you have recorded the permalink and the title of the Entry changes later, the URL will be directed to the correct Entry because the ID code remains consistent.
The URI for the Entry is a URL identifying the location and identity of the Entry in the following format:
The URI is also constant and does not change when the Entry is edited.
A URI Label displays the specific URI and URL for a specific Entry. The URI Label is useful if you want to record the details of a specific Entry that you have written, or you want to reference it in a different location. For example you might want to refer to a particular Entry in your lab book, in a paper, or on a website. You can use the URI Label to create a barcode that can be printed out. An example use could be to link together a sample to the Entry that describes the source of the sample or the steps used to create it.
To view or print the URI Label:
- Locate and click the title of the Entry that you want to record.
- Click URI Label in the navigation menu. The URI Label Generator window is displayed. You can use the information displayed in this window to record the location of the selected Entry. For example you could use on of the following methods:
- (Optional) Write down or copy the URI or URL to use to reference the Entry from a new location.
- (Optional) Print the URI Label out.
- (Optional) To view a bar code for the Entry, click just view label. A bar code reader is needed to read the information.
- (Optional) To view a QR code for the Entry, click just view qr label.
- Close the URI Label Generator window when you have finished.
As an alternative to using the URI, URL, or bar code you can view and print QR codes that provide a link to a specific Entry. A QR reader is needed to read the information, for example many mobile phones with built in cameras have QR reading software. There are two ways to generate a QR code for a specific Entry:
- Locate and click the title of the Entry for which you want to create a QR code.
- (Optional) Click Show/Hide QR Code link under the subheading 'Tools' in the navigation menu. You can take a copy of the QR code by right-clicking on the image.
- (Optional) Alternatively to view a printable version of the QR code:
- Click URI Label in the navigation menu. The URI Label Generator window is displayed.
- Click just view qr label to view a QR code for the Entry in PDF.
The QR code uses the URI in the form:
QR Code Software
To read QR codes you need a portable device with a camera and an internet connection. Most modern camera phones are of high enough quality to read QR codes.
- Neoreader supports most mobile handsets.
- Barcode Reader can be used with Android and Blackberry
- Alternatively, search for 'Barcode Reader' in the Android market or other application stores.
Test QR Code
Below is a test QR code that you can use that links to the Labtrove website.
What to do next
- Linking to other eNotebook entries
- Using search
- Using the Timeline View
- Using the Exhibit View (deprecated)
- Editing an eNotebook entry and viewing revisions